Friday, March 20, 2009

Food Storage: Powdered Milk

For the past couple of years I have tried to increase our food storage. It was overwhelming in the beginning because I knew I should store things that I had never used before, such as whole wheat and powdered milk. A few weeks ago my neighbor hosted a class on how to use powdered milk. I thought it was very interesting and helpful. I haven't tried making the recipes myself yet, but I thought I would share a few of them so those of you who are still learning how to use food storage items can try them too.

Yogurt:
3 3/4 cups warm water
1 2/3 cups Instant nonfat dry milk
2 to 4 Tbsp store-bought, plain yogurt with active yogurt cultures

In a large saucepan combine the water and dry milk powder. Stir well and let it sit for a few minutes, then stir again. All of the dry milk should be dissolved. Heat the milk over medium/low heat until it reaches 180 degrees. This kills off any competing bacteria so that the yogurt will respond better to the acidophilus cultures. Remove from the stove and allow to cool to 115 degrees. If the milk is any hotter than this then it will kill off the yogurt cultures. Add the store-bought plain yogurt to the warm milk (the store-bought yougert can be stored in the freezer. Put in ice cube trays and then store in freezer bags once frozen). Stir well. allow it to sit for a few minutes and stir a final time. This should dissolve the store-bought yogurt completely. Carefully pour the mixture into a very clean quart-sized, wide-mouthed canning jar. Incubate the yogurt in a warm spot (such as in a crockpot with a little water, set on low) for 6 to 8 hours, or until it is thick. Chill and eat.

Riccotta Cheese:
6 cups water
3 cups Instant powdered milk
1/2 cup to 3/4 cups white vinegar
Salt to taste

Combine water and powdered milk. Heat gently so it won't burn. Heat to 120 degrees. When hot, remove from burner and GENTLY stir in vinegar. Don't use a whisk. Allow the mixture to sit for 10 minutes. After 10 minutes if some of the liquid is still milky white, stir in more vinegar to separate. Start with just a spoon full and continue until the liquid is an amber color. Line a strainer with cheesecloth, or dishtowel. Dump cheese curds into the strainer and rinse with cool water. Break up clumps and rinse well. Allow all the liquid to drain ofr. Fold the dishtowel over the cheese and squeeze out all the liquid. Do this until the cheese ball is quite dry. After it is dry, put it in a bowl, break it up and salt it to taste.

Cottage Cheese:
Follow the recipe above to make Riccotta cheese. Stir in a little bit of yogurt or evaporated milk or cream.

1 comment:

Casey said...

What great recipes! Thank you for sharing. :)