Sunday, May 9, 2010

Race for the Cure 2010


Yesterday we participated in what has become our annual tradition, walking in the Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure. It's one of the few times when I don't mind the crowd. It's nice to see so many people gather together for a great cause. It's also an event that stirs up a mix of emotions in me. The first year we walked in celebration of my Mom, the past two years we walked in memory of her. As we started the race, there were survivors announcing their names and number of years as a breast cancer survivor over the PA system. It brought up some emotion to hear them celebrating. I was so glad for them and it made me think of watching my Mom march in the survivor parade in 2008, but it was also hard because she fought and wasn't there to announce the years she spent fighting.

So, I'll say here, what I wish I could have exclaimed over the PA system yesterday. My Mom is a champion, a woman who fought cancer valiantly and nobly for over 12 years.

Although I'm sure she thought about her cancer every day, she never let her cancer define who she was. She continued to live, to hope and to love. And most of all, even through all of the pain and difficulties she taught us to find JOY, and to enJOY life.

I will always be grateful for the strong and wonderful woman that was (and still is) my Mom.


2 comments:

Miller said...

Love it, Hide.

As I do you.

The Fred & Stephanie Lewis Family said...

Beautiful post. Sure wish I could have been there.
LOVE,
Steph