Saturday, June 20, 2009

Block By Block

This week I went to Pleasant Grove with my Dad and my Grandparents. We went to the house (Houses actually. I guess it would be called a triplex.) where my Great Grandpa lived. My Grandparents still own the house and land. It was a fascinating thing to me.

I had been to the house before to visit my Great Grandpa and to help my Grandparents clean it after he passed away, but I hadn't paid much attention to it. I saw it differently when my Grandpa told me that he and his Dad made the cinder blocks to build the house. My Great Grandpa built his house block by block. He and my Grandpa made every single one of them. The machine they used to make the blocks sits in a huge shop filled with tools. As I walked through the shop I could see where my Grandpa got his talent for welding and woodworking. I could also see where my Mom got her talent for taking something that other people would have thrown away and making it into something beautiful.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

That is so cool! I had know idea they built that house. THANKS for the family history!
-Steph

Katie said...

I had no idea! amazing.