Thursday, April 3, 2008

Stephanie's Visit


This week, my sister, Stephanie, came for a visit from Georgia. Whenever we get together there is a lot of laughing and reminiscing. We decided to have a slumber party at my parents home. She and I stayed up entirely too late talking, which is what we used to do when we shared a room back in the good old days. It brought back many memories.

She is my older sister, so I often tagged along with her when she went out with friends. I also did plenty of spying on her when she returned home from her dates. Sometimes she was glad for the spying. If I knew her date was lingering and Stephanie was ready for him to go home, I would think of excuses to keep coming into the room, and drop hints that it was time to say goodnight.

One day, I was cutting out a pattern on our bedroom floor - I wouldn't be surprised if I was making one of the many U-Knits outfits that I stylishly wore back in the '80's. I didn't realize that the scissors were still on the fabric when I picked up one end and flipped the fabric to get the stray threads off. The scissors went flying into the air, soared across the room and into the open shelf above our desk. It perfectly decapitated one of her ceramic clowns. I thought it was the funniest thing that I had ever seen. At the time, Stephanie didn't think it was so funny. I got a long lecture about repentance from one of her boyfriends. We now laugh about it often.

When we would lay in our beds at night we liked to play "radio". Stephanie would sing to me and if I didn't like the song I would make noises to "change the channel". We also talked and threw things at each other. One night, in the darkness of our room, I was hit with a flying Barbie.

Since I wasn't a big fan of the dark, I always tried to get in bed before Stephanie so she would have to be the one to turn out the light and try to find her way to her bed in the blackness. One night, she beat me to bed. I turned out the light and tried to make it to my bed by leaping to it from the light switch (since jumping in the dark is much safer than walking). I made it to the bed, but the bed didn't make it. I broke it in two.

I am so blessed that I have great parents, the best brothers (I wish they were with us in the picture) and the craziest sisters.

2 comments:

Jessica Adams said...

ok seriously I laughed so hard when I read this that people in my office were giving me odd looks.

The Fred & Stephanie Lewis Family said...

This was so FUN!!! What great memories!! I love you so much!
Love, Steph