Tuesday, March 25, 2008

A Stroll Through Memory Lane


I enjoy looking at places on Google Maps. Recently, I found that there is a new feature that allows you to view an area from street level. I decided to visit some old stomping grounds. One of my favorites so far, has been our old neighborhood in New York City. Our apartment building sat between W. 215th St. and W. 214th St. I would stroll through Inwood Hill Park and pick up seeds (which are currently in a bowl on my kitchen table). I would run through Isham Park (which was crawling with the scariest squirrels I have ever seen) in the mornings to catch the Subway (the A line), which was on the corner of Isham and Broadway. During the summer, an ice cream truck would park on Seaman Avenue. Every night at about 9:00 it would drive away with it's music playing. I'm sure it was a parents worst nightmare. I would walk down Isham to Broadway (between 207th and 204th St) to purchase my groceries and carry them back in a huge canvas bag. Sometimes, Dwight and I would walk to the Blockbuster video store on Dyckman. I also liked to visit the Library on Broadway. I still have my New York City Public Library card.

Here is a link to Google Maps if you would like to take a stroll yourself. Once you click on the link, click on the yellow person and then click the left arrow (in the upper left hand corner of the picture) two or three times so you can see our building. You would be able to see our window, which was on the 2nd floor, but there is a huge white van with a big red ladder in the way.

Link to our apartment on google maps

I have so many fun memories of our stay in New York. It has been fun to visit it again.

No comments: