Sunday, September 26, 2010

Facing Fears


This is what we saw heading our direction last Sunday night. There were times we couldn't see anything because of the smoke, but when the wind shifted we watched as a stream of fire spread across the mountain behind our home. It was an eerie sight. We stayed up until early Monday morning watching the fire creep closer and closer and gathering our belongings preparing for a quick escape. We were never evacuated, but thousands of others were. It was a miracle that only three homes were lost.

Tonight Dwight and I went to the site of the fire to take some pictures. I was amazed to see how close the fire line was to the homes we saw surrounded in flames. The fire fighters did an amazing job. I was especially impressed with the line a bulldozer created, saving numerous homes.












While bending down and snapping pictures, I came face to face with another of my worst fears, a very long and far to close snake. The rest of the pictures were extremely blurry because I couldn't stop shaking.

2 comments:

jamatukk said...

Awesome photos. So glad you were all safe. I am sure your scared out of your mind with the snake, I said to Nathan I have heard Heidi when she sees an earwig, I can't imagine how she would react with a snake. Love ya! Britt

Jessica Adams said...

Heid.
I feel it safe to bet that you were more scared photographing the snake than you were the fire.
Were you squealing in fear when you took it? I would have been.