Friday, December 18, 2009

Surprise Sisters Sanity Retreat

When I posted the updated video of our 2006 Sisters Sanity Retreat last month, I was bursting with excitement. I couldn't share the news of our pending 2009 Sisters Sanity Retreat because it was a surprise. A surprise that had been in the works since February.

In February, I received an e-mail from my brother-in-law, Fred. He was making plans for my Sister, Stephanie's, birthday - which in and of itself was impressive, seeing as her Birthday is in December. He thought that the best gift he could give her would be a trip to Key West, Florida. I agreed. I agreed even more when he said the gift would include me and my sisters. We kept this secret from Stephanie until Amy, Jessica and I showed up on her doorstep on December 9th.

The ride from the Atlanta airport to Stephanie's home seemed to take forever. We waited months to surprise her and different scenarios flowed through my mind. I knew there would be jumping and hand clapping in the reaction and I couldn't wait to see her. Fred, Haleigh and Caleb picked us up from the airport and let us out once we pulled in the driveway. We scurried around the corner of the house and waited a few minutes and then rang the doorbell. It was a wonderful way to start our Surprise Sister's Sanity Retreat.


We stayed at Stephanie's beautiful home that night and then flew to Miami the next day. I am now a huge fan of Miami. Not only because it is beautiful and warm, but because it is extremely humid. When we left 0 degree Utah my nose and sinus' were dry, my lips were cracking and my hands were like raisins. When I stepped off the plane in Miami, I was instantly relieved from all of the dryness.



On Thursday, we drove from Miami to the Florida Keys. We stayed on Marathon Key. The resort we stayed in was beautiful. It was nice to leave ground covered in white show and arrive to ground covered in white sand. I would make that exchange any winter. The sandy beach right outside our condo extended for about 30 yards to the bay. The palm trees were beautiful and we did our share of hunting and gathering. Stephanie found a beautiful branch, which she had shipped home. Amy and Jessica and I found beautiful coconuts. I'm so glad Amy dared climb through the lizard-filled jungle to retrieve the coconuts for us.

We spent 4 days in the Keys. It was heavenly. We laid by the pool, did some shopping, played games, talked, laughed, watched a movie, ate wonderful food, talked, laughed, drove around the Island, talked, laughed, and laid on the white sandy beach.





There was a turtle hospital right next door to our hotel. We decided that even though we could hear the tours 3 times a day from our balcony, we would venture over and take a look at the turtles. It was one of the highlights of the trip. I'm sure the guide thought we where all a little crazy as we walked around and talked to the turtles. My favorite was a turtle that swam on it's side. I think it had a collapsed lung so one side was above the water and one side was below. It would swim around the tank with all it's might. I learned that sea turtles can't retract into their shells. They use their speed to protect themselves instead of using their shell. They can swim up to 25 miles an hour.

I think if I have to pick a favorite experience it would be snorkeling. I was very apprehensive for this activity. I have a fear of heights and water. I decided that on this trip I was going to work toward conquering fears, so I decided to do it. We ventured out to the Sombrero Reef with three wonderful guides. Captain Brian was Australian, Ollie was from England and Tom was from the US. They were great. My nervousness escalated when they stopped the boat by a little metal lighthouse in what felt like the middle of the ocean. I had envisioned snorkeling in a little alcove virtually surrounded by island with water like glass. They pointed out the reefs, gave us a quick tutorial and told us to jump in. I put my gear on, and jumped in the water. I was amazed with what I could see when I put my face in the water. I would like to say that I took to snorkeling right away, but I didn't. I had a panic moment when salt water got in my mouth and the waves were crashing against me. I had a hard time breathing so I headed back to the boat. I got to the boat and Tom gave me a tutorial on how to breathe. It helped a lot. I got back in the water and started to enjoy it. I saw the most colorful fish I have ever seen outside a fish tank. We went back to the boat so we could move to a different location. Once on the boat I started to get queasy. The rocking of the boat was a little too much for me. I watched as Jessica leaned over the edge of the boat, then Amy. I tried and tried to avoid doing the same, but couldn't contain it. I tried to warn the poor scuba diver sitting next to me before I leaned over the side and took my turn.

When we reached the new destination, I didn't think I could go back in the water. My stomach and head were both spinning. Amy and Stephanie quickly jumped off the boat. Seconds later we heard squeals coming from their direction. They were laying still, face down in the water so we knew they weren't in peril. Finally one of them lifted her head and told us they saw a shark. I really wanted to get back into the water so I could stop the rocking of the boat so I jumped in. I only lasted about 10 minutes when even the rocking of the waves got to me, so I headed back to the boat. Jessica, Amy and Stephanie followed. We all spent the rest of the time taking turns leaning over the side of the boat. We were very happy to step on land again. We spent the rest of the day laughing about how silly we must have looked.


We saw beautiful sunsets on the Keys. We went to a sunset festival at Mallory park on Key West. Everyone watched the sun set and then applauded. We decided that since we were only 90 miles from Cuba we needed to try Cuban food. It was wonderful. We had a lot of good food on the trip.






I didn't think we would ever come close to the excitement of our 2006 Sanity Retreat, but we did. It was such a fun and relaxing time. I am so blessed to have great sisters and a brother-in-law who is extremely generous and has such great ideas.

1 comment:

The Fred & Stephanie Lewis Family said...

WOW how I LOVED this trip!! THANK YOU for being so good to me and helping FRED with the preparations. I will FOREVER remember the BEAUTIFUL times we had together.
I love you!!
Steph