Wednesday, February 25, 2009

My Dad


Today is my Dad's birthday, so I have been thinking about him all morning. I am blessed to have such a good Dad. He has done so much for me.

When I was younger, my Dad worked full-time, served as a Bishop in our Ward, and went to school to finish his Masters Degree - all at the same time. I remember one night I was having a hard time. My favorite quilt that my Grandma made for me had been put in the dryer and part of it melted. I was crying and refused to go to sleep. My Dad came home from his evening classes and rocked me in a chair in the living room. He was drinking the last Sprite from the fridge and he let me have a drink. I thought that I was so special because I was cuddled in my Dad's arms and drinking some of the coveted Sprite. Even though we didn't see my Dad much during those busy times, we talked to him on the phone and we always knew he was there for us. His sacrifice taught me about the importance of seeing things through, of serving even when times are difficult and of working hard.

I remember standing on his feet and dancing with him on New Years Eve in the basement family room. I always thought that he was so tall and strong and I felt safe when I was near him.

He plays the violin beautifully. In fact, he went through his first couple of years of College on a scholarship because of his incredible talent. Some evenings he would walk through the hall and into each of our bedrooms and play his violin as we were falling asleep.

He built a playhouse for us in the back yard using a huge wooden crate. He threw a rope across a tall branch in the massive tree behind our house and made the biggest swing I had ever seen. He would take us sledding and camping and on numerous vacations. He would also take us flying in the car. This is now a favorite of the Grandkids. He would speed up the car and "take off" and then come in for a slightly bumpy landing.

My Dad provided well for us. He made sure that we lived in a nice house in a safe and nice neighborhood, even if it meant that he had a longer commute to work. I never felt like I had to go without, even though he taught us the importance of saving money and spending wisely.

Howard W. Hunter said, "One of the greatest things a Father can do for his children is to love their Mother". It was such a blessing to witness how much my Dad loved my Mom, and how much my Mom loved my Dad. I would get a little embarrassed when he would walk in the door from work and kiss my mom, but I always thought it was such a special thing. I recognized that love even more when I was older and became a wife myself. I am impressed with the honor that he showed for my Mom. He treated her with respect and as an equal. He was extremely supportive throughout all of her cancer trials. He retired early from his long and successful career so he could spend as much time with her as possible during her last year. Watching him care for her is something I will treasure always. When the Hospice team came in during her last months, they told us repeatedly that he was an amazing husband. One of the Hospice workers said that he had never seen a husband care for a wife so well. I know that he truly loves her.

Thank you Dad for constantly teaching me and for being such a wonderful Father. I am truly blessed. I love you.

4 comments:

Casey said...

Heidi, that was such a sweet post. It sounds like you have a wonderful father. I love that you have recorded all those memories. What a great way to cherish them always and keep them from fading.

Anonymous said...

Heidi,
Thanks for such a special tribute. I love you soooo much and appreciate your continued support and help. Thanks for all you do.
Love
Dad

T.A.T.I Crew said...

I love that picture! So cute.

Great post. Aren't we so blessed to have such a great dad?

The Fred & Stephanie Lewis Family said...

Handsome Dad! Cute girl! What a beautiful post.
-Steph