This week, my parents hosted the annual family camp out. We didn't have to go very far, and we didn't freeze at night, because they held the camp in their backyard. We were even able to sit on comfortable furniture and take a shower in the morning. That is my kind of camping!All of my brothers and sisters and their spouse and children were able to be there. It was wonderful to have all of the family together. I enjoy spending time with family. It's fun to reminisce about the good times we had growing up. I especially like the opportunity to talk about what we are doing now, and to see my siblings as adults. It's still a little strange to think that we are all so old.
The camp out is called the King Benjamin camp out. We put our tents so the doors faced each other and then we all sat at our tents and listened to my parents teach a story from the Book of Mormon.
We were also able to take some time to celebrate the retirement of my Dad. I am especially blessed to have a Dad who worked hard and taught me so much. I can't believe that he has retired. He worked from the time that he was 14 or 15. He put himself through college. He got his Masters degree while working full-time, serving as a Bishop, and helping raise 5 children (Jessica wasn't born yet). He taught me the value of hard work, how to save money, how to pay bills and how to balance a check book. We always lived in a nice home and in a nice neighborhood. He supported us in our choir concerts, or ball games, and in other activities. He is one of the most generous and thoughtful people I know.
One of my favorite parts of the camp out was watching the kids play together. They crack me up. I loved watching the older kids pull the younger kids in the wagons. They would run through the back yard. Some of the kids in the wagon got daring enough that they would raise their arms in the air like they were on a roller coaster.
July is a time when I focus a bit more on remembering those who paved the way so that I can live the kind of life I live today. In the beginning of July, we celebrate the forming of our country. How grateful I am for great men and women who risked their lives to create an independent and free country. At the end of July we celebrate the arrival of the Mormon Pioneers in the Salt Lake valley. How grateful I am for those faithful people who carried the gospel across the plains, so that I can have a knowledge of it today. I'm also grateful for good parents, who gather their children around to remind us of the teachings of those who came before.
This week, I truly enjoyed my freedom to happiness.
No comments:
Post a Comment