The space above the couch in our living room has been reserved for a painting by Dwight. He didn't know this until I took him to the craft store last Fall and had him help me pick out a canvas. The canvas sat in our guest room and the void above the couch kept taunting me. I finally decided that I was going to paint something. I figured that I had painted walls, so I could paint on canvas. I even painted some small canvases for our Master Bath, and when I was in the 8th grade, my Grandma helped me paint a landscape. I talked with Dwight and made sure that when he was ready to paint the canvas, he could paint over whatever I did. He said he could, so I went to work.
I decided that I would use a vase that I liked as inspiration. I gathered all of the left-over latex paint I could find. I painted the bottom half of the canvas green, and the top half brown. I liked the color combination, but it looked a little too flat. When Dwight came home from work, he helped me add a little more dimension. It was fun to see him mix paint colors to come up with new colors. He was also less careful about getting things even than I had been. He would drag the brush through colors and then leave it, where I had been carefully making everything even.
We left the painting for a few days and decided that it needed at least one more color. We decided to add a little orange. Dwight spent a few hours the next Saturday working on it. I like how it turned out. I finally have a painting by Dwight hanging in my home. Now I want more.
2 comments:
That painting is beautiful. Don't forget that you helped too!
I've been wanting to do something like that but I haven't worked up enough guts yet. It seems like so much fun.
I think you don't give yourself the credit you so deserve.
You have a great eye for stuff like this.
It looks amazing.
Post a Comment